Breakfast, Lunch + Dessert All-in-One Banana
As I sit here to write about bananas, many things begin to flood my mind. I immediately hear Gwen Stefani's voice singing "this sh*t is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S..." while also picturing some of my childhood faves, the Bananas in Pajamas. Then I clear through the banana clutter and get back to why I'm even writing this post... THIS, my peanut butter banana milkshake:
I whipped up this concoction over the weekend when Chris told me he wanted a "healthy" milkshake. Packed with protein and full of fiber, here's a recipe that's just as perfect to start off your day as it is to end with!
Peanut Butter Banana Milkshake
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup liquid (I used 1/2 almond milk, 1/2 coconut milk)
- 1 scoop protein powder (definitely recommend chocolate flavor! can substitute cacao powder here as well)
- 1 scoop peanut butter (or almond butter, yum!)
- Dash of cinnamon
- Toppings: fresh banana, almonds, cacao nibs
The above ingredients are for one serving, so if you are sharing with a friend just double the recipe!
Combine the frozen banana, milk, powder and nut butter in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a chilled glass and top with fresh banana slices, raw almonds, chocolate chunks and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
This "milkshake" is so easy to make and before you try it for yourself and get hooked, here are a few other reasons to convince you to whip one up:
- Bananas are extremely beneficial for your CARDIOVASCULAR health which means they keep your HEART HEALTHY!
- They help to prevent high blood pressure and protect the cardiovascular system from atherosclerosis (clogged arteries).
- They also help block absorption of dietary cholesterol, maintaining healthy blood cholesterol levels.
- Bananas have a low glycemic index (GI) value, meaning they don't cause a rapid spike in blood sugar levels -- they are also a great source of dietary fiber!
If those fun health facts weren't enough to persuade you, let me know and I will make you some to change your mind! Let me know if you try it out and be sure to share it with me/tag me @missjonesie on Instagram :)