Power French Toast
Trust me when I say that french toast tasted as delicious as it looks! If the picture alone doesn't make you want to whip up a batch, maybe this will: it's full of lean protein and healthy fats to nourish your body and help muscle growth. Perfect for post-workout mornings!
Here's what you'll need:
- 6 egg whites + 1 full egg - egg yolks contain the fat and cholesterol found in eggs so to take advantage of the protein content, cook with more egg whites (no fat)
- 1.5 tbsp ground flaxseed - rich source of micronutrients and essential fatty acids (helps with heart and brain health!)
- Sprinkle of cinnamon - can help naturally lower blood sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Spoonful of coconut oil - for the pan
- 4-6 slices of whole wheat bread (I've been really into Dave's Killer Bread lately)
- Toppings: fruit, agave nectar (low glycemic index, meaning it won't cause spikes in blood sugar levels), nut butter (currently obsessed with Cashew butter), seeds
Super easy to make!
In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, flaxseed, cinnamon and vanilla. Bring the bowl and slices of bread to the stove and heat up a frying pan or skillet. Add a drop of coconut oil to grease the pan and swirl it around. Depending on how many you can fit on your pan at a time, dip the bread slice(s) in the egg mixture and make sure they get a full soak. Then, place them on the pan and cook until golden on both sides. You can serve them alone with some syrup or agave, or have a little fun with it and add some berries, seeds, butter, whatever your heart desires!